Cauliflower Fried Rice (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
As you've probably guessed, I'm a big fan of vegetables, and aim to get as many into my daily meals as I can. Given that I'm also a working person trying to balance staying fit and working out with a social life and a healthy marriage, I appreciate shortcuts when I can get them. But I won't settle for a shortcut for the sake of convenience alone -- it has to be one that supports my penchant for living and eating well. If I can walk into a store and grab a ready-made salad, for instance, that would certainly save me time, but if it's drenched in a sugar-laden dressing or includes ingredients that I know won't serve me, then I'll opt for something else or just make something myself.
My go-to grocery store, Whole Foods Market, is of course known for its organic produce, sustainable, humanely raised meats and fish options, as well as healthier packaged food options than many other stores offer.
However, one section that I typically breeze through or skip all together is the freezer section. This is because I'd much rather eat fresh veggies and fruit, and I'd rather eat whole foods that I make myself rather than frozen pre-made meals. But, there's something intriguing about convenience, isn't there?
I was tipped off to one of my least-favorite-to-cut vegetables, cauliflower, being offered not only pre-cut, but PRE-RICED in the freezer section. I love cauliflower. I just hate cutting it. Maybe it's just me, but I can't cut a fresh cauliflower without tiny bits of it being launched across my kitchen, only to be found days later via the rancid smell it leaves in its wake. Anyone else? Maybe it is just me.
In any case, I love having organic cauliflower available to me in a convenient, pre-cut format that allows me to make a beautiful, healthy, side dish with the convenience of not having to cut it!
I had to try it, and I loved having this option to throw together an awesome cauliflower-based fried rice recipe. It can be vegan if you leave the egg out, and it's an awesome plant-based side dish to accompany your favorite protein.
So, the lesson here is that healthy dishes can be incredibly simple and quick to make.
- 3 cups Organic Riced Cauliflower (365 Everyday Value brand found in the freezer section at Whole Foods Market)
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1/3 cup diced scallions
- 1 TBSP diced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp diced fresh turmeric root
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 TBSP coconut aminos
- 1 tsp avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp dried ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt (plus more to taste)
- sesame seeds to garnish
- 1 egg (optional -- leave out to make vegan)
- In a large pan, heat avocado oil or coconut oil on medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add fresh diced turmeric, fresh diced ginger, bell peppers, and carrots.
- Allow to simmer for about 2 minutes before adding all other ingredients except for egg.
- Stir everything together until combined and saute for about 7 minutes. If using egg, add after about 5 minutes by cracking into the pan and mixing into the rest of the ingredients.
- Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Thanks to Whole Foods Market Montgomery County for generously providing the ingredients for this recipe, and thanks for reading!