Classic Egg Sandwich With Roasted Carrot Basil Spread (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
The egg sandwich, or open-faced egg on toast is such a classic. I love enjoying it for a quick, balanced meal on my way to work during the week, or at a bit slower of a pace over the weekend. Sometimes, though, I like to play around with the classic a bit, and give it a unique twist.
One of these instances really stuck, because of this amazing spread that served as the foundation on gluten-free toast. I'm a big fan of roasted carrots with their subtle sweetness and beautiful vibrant orange color, so I thought that was a good place to start. Then, because I'd never seen it done before and I like to push the envelope a bit, I decided to try it as the base of a spread along with basil. Let me tell you -- this is such an amazing, unexpected combination of flavors! And the spread couldn't be easier to make.
Here's the super simple recipe:
- 4 large carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp avocado oil
- a few pinches sea salt or real mineral salt
- 1 organic, pasture-raised egg
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 slices gluten free bread (my favorite is Simple Kneads)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice carrots into 1-inch pieces, and then slice each piece in half, length-wise, so that each piece has a flat side.
- Spray a parchment-lined baking sheet lightly with avocado oil, and place each carrot flat-side-down onto the sheet. Roast in the oven for 12 minutes before flipping each piece, then roast for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven once cooked through (should be fork-tender and sweet), and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Once cool, put roasted carrots, basil, and a few pinches of salt into a food processor or blender, and pulse until combined and smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan, heat a small drizzle or spray of avocado oil, and wilt the spinach over medium heat. Once wilted, set aside.
- In the same pan (with the spinach removed and set aside), heat a drizzle of avocado oil on medium heat.
- Once hot, crack the egg into the pan, and turn heat down to medium-low. Allow egg to cook on low/medium-heat until the whites are set, then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, toast the gluten free bread.
- Once the bread is toasted, spread the carrot-basil spread on one piece of toast, top with wilted spinach, and add the egg.
- Enjoy immediately.