Lemon Poppy Seed Cashew Bars (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Raw, Vegan)
These lemon poppy seed bars are the perfect spring treat! The lemon makes them bright and fresh, and the cashew topping is creamy and smooth, making for a match made in dessert heaven.
An added bonus is that they are very low in sugar, and are free of refined sugars, yet somehow still taste so indulgent.
This is a perfect dessert to bring to a party or family gathering. Super easy to throw together (they're raw so no baking required!), and serves 9-12 depending on how many squares you cut out of them.
I hope you love these as much as we do in our house!
- For the Bottom Layer/Crust:
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup dates (soaked)
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup gluten free oats (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- For the Top Layer:
- 2 cups soaked cashews
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 heaping tsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Pinch of real salt
- Optional: Thinly sliced lemons for garnishing the top of the bars.
- To make the bottom layer/crust: In a food processor, add all crust ingredients and pulse until mixed together and crumbly, but not totally smooth.
- In a square baking dish, press the crust mixture evenly into the dish so that it lines the entire bottom.
- Refrigerate or put in the freezer for at least 10 minutes to harden a bit before adding the top layer/filling.
- To make the top layer/filling: In a food processor, add all filling ingredients and pulse on high until very smooth and completely combined.
- Add the filling to the top of the cooled/"hardened" crust, and spread out evenly.
- Top with thinly sliced lemons if using.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, then cut into squares (can cut into 9 or 12 squares).