Roasted Tomato Sauce (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
Who loves a big bowl of pasta? (Raises hand!) Who loves a pizza with all the toppings? (Raises both hands!). Clearly I love these tasty dishes just as much as the next person, but it be challenging to find a healthy sauce to add to these favorites.
If you walk down the sauce aisle in the grocery store, you'll find a million different options, with practically all of them featuring some sort of added sugar, which is a completely unnecessary ingredient, especially if you make it at home since it doesn't have to be shelf-stable.
This incredibly versatile, classic roasted tomato sauce recipe will be the star of all of your homemade pizzas, and pasta dishes, and can even double as a sandwich spread or a sauce on your favorite protein (it's amazing on lemon chicken and pretty much any white fish, if you're wondering!).
Don't be afraid to add your own spin on this recipe. For example, this one doesn't actually include garlic, so it's low-FODMAP friendly. but it would be AMAZING with a clove of garlic for an even more familiar classic marinara flavor profile.
Comment below with how you plan to use this sauce in your kitchen! I'd love to hear what dishes you're using it with!
- 1.5 cups chopped organic roma or plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- a few good pinches of real salt
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread out tomatoes, skin-side down, evenly across the pan.
- Sprinkle the salt, rosemary, and oregano evenly over the tomatoes.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, or until tomatoes are very soft, and the skin is blistered.
- Remove from oven, and transfer the tomatoes into a small saucepan or heat-resistant bowl (metal, ceramic, pyrex, etc.).
- Using an immersion blender, pulse the tomatoes until a sauce forms.
- Serve immediately while warm, or store in the fridge in an air-tight container until ready to re-heat and use.