Garlic Shrimp & Lemon Asparagus Pasta with Bell Pepper Tomato Sauce (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
Sometimes you just need a giant bowl of pasta. But to make it more balanced, I like to throw in a ton of veggies in the form of a sauce and tossed-in veg, and some good protein. In this recipe, I went wild-caught shrimp from my local Whole Foods Market (Montgomery County) because shrimp are so versatile! They're a great canvas to incorporate with just about any sauce or to top any dish.
I was also pleased to find the first organic asparagus of the season at my local Whole Foods Market, which to me means one thing: spring will be here soon!
This recipe screams warm weather to me -- bright pinks and greens and fresh pops of lemon and tomato make this the ultimate warm-weather spring/summer dish! Now grab yourself a bowl, fill it up, and think warm thoughts. I think spring is just around the corner!
- 1/2 pound of wild-caught shrimp (I get mine from Whole Foods Market)
- 4-5 stalks organic asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lemon
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- a few pinches mineral real salt or sea salt
- 1 TBSP diced garlic
- 1 TBSP diced shallots
- 1/2 tsp avocado oil
- 2 cups gluten free pasta (my favorite is brown rice pasta)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400° F.
- Cut the bell peppers into strips.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, add 1/4 tsp avocado oil and spread evenly around the parchment.
- Add bell peppers and tomatoes to parchment-lined sheet, and season with rosemary, oregano, and a few pinches of salt.
- Roast for 10 minutes before turning the peppers and tomatoes (they should be blistered on one side), and then roast on the other side for about 10 minutes until blistered.
- Once slightly cooled, add the basil along with the roasted peppers and tomatoes to a small saucepan, and using in immersion blender, pulse until a sauce forms. Note: you can do this in a food processor or blender instead. Set the sauce aside.
- Meanwhile, on a separate parchment-lined baking sheet, add the asparagus and toss with a generous squeeze of lemon juice and a few pinches of salt. Lay the asparagus flat, and bake at 400°F for about 8 minutes, flipping the pieces mid-way for even roasting.
- Meanwhile, season the shrimp with some salt and a generous squeeze of lemon juice.
- In a pan, heat a 1/4 tsp of avocado oil (on medium heat), and saute diced garlic and shallots with the shrimp. Cook on the first side for about 3 minutes (until pink), then flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes until done. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, and cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. When done, strain, and add back into the pot.
- Toss the sauce, shrimp, and asparagus into the pasta.
- Serve immediately.
Thanks to Whole Foods Market Montgomery County for generously supplying the ingredients for this recipe, and thanks to you for reading!